Saturday, September 11, 2010

Ain't-a That Good News!

So last Tuesday was the first Mahler rehearsal. This is the small select choir that is going to sing at Carnegie Hall in NYC in October. Oh man I wanted to be a part of that. But if you were reading back in Chautauqua, you know the first cuts came out and I was not among them. But I believe in positive thinking. . . . of visualizing myself surrounded by the conditions I wish to create. So for the past week, as the first rehearsal was approaching I was walking around the house saying out loud: "I will be chosen. It doesn't matter that tonight is the first rehearsal. He will listen to the chosen chorus and realize that he needs me." Then the first rehearsal came and went. And the message changed to: "Not to worry. Someone will drop out. I can see myself standing on the stage at Carnegie Hall. He would be a fool not to pick me. . . ." Then the next rehearsal, this morning in fact, was approaching. So I abandoned my pacing the living room and went with Sandy out to Clifton Forge yesterday to see Mary Hannah and her new granddaughter. We had a nice lunch and came home. CF is about 1 1/2 hours away, so this was a day-long adventure.

And I got in the house. . .and the message machine was blinking. . . . . and it was Norman saying that he needed me for Mahler!!!!! YEEEEE HAAAAAAAAA!!! And he didn't expect me to make it to this morning's rehearsal, which I didn't. But I did practice the music for a long time today. It's a different part from the one I sang when we were in London, so it will be a challenge. But I am so excited. And now I'm going to pace my house saying: "Of course this house will sell for full price. The right buyer is going to come along, love it, and offer me what I'm asking." Hey. . . it's worth a try!

Today I was showing one of my trainers the new house and I met my next door neighborhood. And joy of joys. . . she's a woman my age, very outgoing and friendly. . . works at UVa. . . and is delighted that I'm moving in. Maybe this is the neighbor I've always wanted.

I've sold the washer/dryer in the new house, and a woman is coming tomorrow to buy one of the sections of kitchen cabinets over there. I'm selling off my stuff to raise money for New York.

Tonight I drove to the charming Batesville store for Blues night. So much fun hanging with the locals, drinking a beer and listening to live blues music at its best. This is turning into an amazing life. . . that's all I'm saying.