Friday, June 25, 2010

CHAUTAUQUA 2010 - Day 1

I am back in Chautauqua for the 2010 Season and I couldn't be any happier! It seems like I blinked and a whole year went by. But in truth I've had a very wonderful and eventful year since last summer. Just last night I finished up the third recording session with the US Marine Band. Choral Arts along with the Marine Band has recorded a CD to be released in the fall of the music of Percy Grainger. It was a thrilling experience. I prefer recording to performing. . . .no uncomfortable dress, time to horse around between takes, lots of hard work and satisfaction in completing a difficult section to the Colonel's satisfaction. I am so blessed to have these experiences.

Chad's radio show (The Lavar Arrington Show with Chad Dukes) has expanded to 5 hours a day, and they have added a half hour weekly sports TV show which precedes Nationals games. He and Sara bought their first house in Centerville!

Casey jumped out of an airplane last weekend with his girlfriend Cortney and all the pictures they brought back certainly reinforce that a great time was had by both. He continues to love golfing and to do well in his job at Oracle.

So here I am back in my summer home. I'm staying in the DOC house for weeks one and two. It's fun returning to a place for the second year. Checking in today meant avoiding the checking in crowds of tomorrow. I arrived here around 3:30 after an uneventful and leisurely trip up here. I listened to Around the World in 80 Days on CD. Saw the movie as a kid. . .never read the book. What a fun adventure. Also started a Jan Karon book on CD - a continuation of the Mitford series, which is just too cute and Norman Rockwell for words, and a good prelude to time up here in Norman Rockwell Land.

We've already had our first choir rehearsal. . . with 10 pieces to perform on Sunday. . .that's two days and two more rehearsals away. We certainly hit the ground running!

I've decided not to take any classes this year. I will be rehearsing and singing in services most days, attending the main lectures at 10:45, and working out as much as possible. I also want to get alot of reading done. And then the movies. . . can't miss as many of those as I can get in. Still, this is much less busy than last year. Each year I come here knowing more and more people from before. It really does feel like home.

So I'm getting ready to cash it in for the night. I left before 6 AM and I'm bushed. I'm in another "nun's cell" room which I love. Believe it or not, after several days in a row in DC in the high 90's, I needed a jacket while walking around this evening. So I'm opening the windows and cuddling down into my bed. Stay tuned. . . .