Saturday, June 26, 2010

Chautauqua 2010 - Day 2

Between yesterday and today this place has exploded in activity and a sea of humanity! Now the joint is jumpin'!

But this morning when I woke up all was still quiet. I woke up before 7 and decided to drive to Jamestown to do my Wegman's shopping and get back before breakfast. Wegman's is truly phenominal. I was able to keep my purchases down since I knew that I would have to carry whatever I bought from the parking lot to my quarters. . . .at least a half mile distance. I bought mostly salad stuff. The daily farmer's market will be in full swing come Monday, and they have excellent prepared food (soups, veggie pizza, etc) that I can buy each day for dinner. With a big salad for lunch, I can maintain my healthy eating habits pretty easily here.

After breakfast I walked out to Turner rec center (probably a mile or more) to buy my season pass for the two gyms that are here. I plan my first workout tomorrow.

After lunch I was bushed so enjoyed an hour long nap! That and the iced coffee held me in good stead for the rest of the day. I met people as they arrived all afternoon. We had choir again tonight and the 10 pieces are coming together by some miracle. By this time tomorrow we will have performed them all. . good or bad. I remember this is how it is every week up here so I just go with the flow!

The first big concert of the season was tonight. It was the original broadway cast of Jersey Boys doing music of the 60's in concert. A HUGE contingent of locals bought tickets and came, so with all the pass-holder/residents, it was packed. Choir rehearsal did not get out until 20 minutes before the concert and then we had to walk to the auditorium. Not a seat left anywhere. So I just stood in back and sang my little heart out with all the songs of the 4 Seasons, Beatles, Beach Boys, and Motown. Little by little the older members of the audience (yes, there are people here LOTS older than me) give up and leave early. So I eventually got a seat. Thanks to my nap and coffee I had lots of energy for the concert. It was terrific!

I'm trying to devote as much time to reading as I can. But I already have seen many friends from last year, so I'm spending more time with people, which for me is a good thing. My room this year (the nun's cell) is adorable. A really cool, interesting shape, a huge window that overlooks the back of the auditorium (I could have listened to the concert from my bed if I had wanted to!), and it's right next to the bathroom. Here I am with only exactly what I need for day to day life, and once again I question the wisdome of owning so much "stuff" back at home.

Weather SOOOO much cooler than back home. I had to close the window in the middle of the night last night and add a blanket! Sweatshirt first thing in the morning. Life is good at Chautauqua. Welcome aboard!