Sunday, June 27, 2010

Chautauqua 2010 - Day 3

"Today we will dedicate this season as the most robust example of lifelong learning on the planet!"

And with that statement, Tom Becker, president of Chautauqua opened the season officially with the ceremonial three taps of the gavel. I thought his quote was a spectacular representation of this place that is so often hard to describe to people. As a matter of fact, I'm taking to writing down great quotes like that as I hear or read them and include them in my blog. I need all the help I can get in telling the tales of Chatauqua.

This was a demanding day, singing-wise, as every Sunday is. After only two rehearsals, the Sunday choir (made up of the core group Motet Choir of which I am a member and then anyone else who wants to attend rehearsals for Sunday) bravely gathered in the massive amphitheater this morning to have one final go at the 10 pieces we would sing at the two Sunday services, morning and evening. Well, it was just too much music. Poor Jared, our conductor gets so excited about the services and he always picks about 2 too many pieces to learn. But we bravely stand up and do our best.

The morning service actually went very well. But then we only did 3 of the pieces. This is the only place where I enjoy going to church services because they get the best preachers in the country and it's always great to listen to what they have to say. They tell great jokes, have sparkling personalities and usually say things that resonate with me. This week's chaplain is Rev. Alan Jones (no, Joan, not the one from high school with whom I had a questionable experience at the reunion. . . .but that's a whole other blog) from San Francisco. I loved this quote from him: "The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty." He was taking it to the religions who think they have all the answers.

After church I went to the annual fire department chicken supper on the quad. Actually, I brought the chicken dinner back to the house and ate on the back picnic table with some people I had not previously met. Then I had to crawl up to my room and take a nap!!

Instead of attending the afternoon Army Field Band concert, I dragged myself out to Turner gym to work out. I got a pretty good work out and then decided to walk back to the house rather than take the shuttle. About 2/3 of the way back it started to rain so I hid out on the porch of one of the hotels. Then I started out again but it started torrentially pouring, so I hid out on the porch of the Methodist house. Lucky for me, Chautauqua is known for its porches! I finally made it back, showered (well actually, mostly just dried off!!) and read for awhile.

Tonight we reahearsed again, and sang the remaining 7 pieces for the Sacred Song service. Four of those pieces went well. Let's just say for the other 3 the audience was very tolerant. But the service each week ends with Jared playing the famous Handel LARGO on the organ, and it's just so moving that I am one giant goosebump through the whole thing. All my organ playing juices flow all summer long when I'm here.

Tomorrow: First day of the theme: Roger Rosenblatt and friends. Roger's friend tomorrow for the 10:45 lecture is Jim Lehrer. He was here last year and is very entertaining and enjoyable.

I'm off to bed. I have some robust lifelong learning to attend to tomorrow!