Saturday, June 27, 2009

CHAUTAUQUA WEEK ONE DAY TWO

I guess when you live in a house that is over 100 years old, there might be some glitch in the internet connection. Maybe little mice on treadmills run it, but every so often it fails and then everything I've written is lost. So tonight I'll try to manually save save save (even though the blog site indicates that it is automatically saving) and try to get this out.

This has been an enigma day at Chautauqua. A full day where almost nothing is scheduled. This is arrival day for all the week one-ers. I arrived early yesterday to attend my first choir practice. So I had a full day to do what I wanted. The weather was gorgeous!!! After breakfast I walked around the campus for a couple of hours. This is the most glorious place to walk.

Chautauqua is truly Utopia. Sometimes you can't believe it's real because it is so charming and perfect and hearkens back to a simpler time. When you walk around in the morning you hear the cries of the boys and girls who are selling the Chautauquan Daily (newspaper). Up until this year they still sang their cries, much like in days way gone by. But they still "hawk" the papers and it's fun to hear the calls as you walk around, from the adolescent boys who voices are cracking to the younger boys with their clear high youth voices. And of course the birds are singing and the breeze is blowing. And there are dozens of different routes to take up and down lanes lined with Victorian cottages with wrap around porches. Many date back more than 100 years. There are people on the porches reading their papers, people walking dogs in small parks which are scattered around. I passed the movie house, the coffee shop, the village green with the fountain, and all the other myriad of buildings that comprise this ultra quaint community. It's like being held captive in a board game!

I read an ad in the paper about the Chautauqua marina down in Mayville, the next small town over. I got it in my head that I wanted to rent a jet-ski for a half hour or so and get out on this huge beautiful lake. I walked out to the parking lot, got in my car and headed for town. Unfortunately, at $75 a half hour, I decided that the price was a little steep, even though it would have been really cool. Too close to the end of the month. . . . .

I decided to walk to the fitness center and work out. I can join for the whole week for 30 bucks. This will be a great deal if I actually decide to work out several times. I did have a good work out, and used the pool locker room and showers to take a good shower and wash my hair. I may be able to avoid sharing the shower back at the house with the 16 other people on my floor!!!

I sat on the porch of our house and listened to the band warming up and the sound check for this evening's performance. More on that later.

After an early dinner I went to the second choir practice. We perform twice tomorrow and I was glad to have the second practice. The music is not simple, but the choir is good and I really enjoy the director and his methods. It was during that rehearsal that I decided to seriously consider coming up week 8 as well. That would give me a 2 week stretch which I would love. It would not take me any time at all to decide to spend the whole summer up here eventually. The most profound thing I've already realized is that I'm living in this room that is about 7 x 10 with a double bed, sink and small dresser, and only what I absolutely need for the week. What a great way to live. I don't know why I have all the stuff back at home. This is about the happiest I can get to live this way with only the basic necessities and a full full schedule and lots of nice people around. I don't spend one second of any day thinking about my next meal. . . .this is truly a miracle for me. And I don't spend one second worrying or thinking about what's on TV. Another miracle. Utopia for sure.

The concert tonight was a doozy!!! Frankie Avalon, Fabian and Bobby Rydell. Now I have to say that all three of them looked pretty darn good for being in their upper 60's!!! And they sounded great. Sometimes revival groups really show their age in their sound, but these guys were great. Frankie Avalon singing "Venus." SIGH!!!! It was a great concert. And Monday night is Garrison Keillor! And all free for me since I'm singing! Why wouldn't I come back week 8 as well????

Stay tuned for that decision. Tomorrow is the Sunday service where the choir sings for the first time, and then an evening song service that we also sing. I love being a part of the choir, and part of the people at my house. So many new friends. More tomorrow!!