Friday, July 3, 2009

Last full (legal) day! Week 1

Being at Chautauqua around the 4th of July is like being held prisoner in a Norman Rockwell calendar! Everywhere the buildings are hung with patriotic flags and buntings. Today I was literally stymied because I was between the Bestor Plaza and the Amphitheater. I was waiting for the church service to be over because every Friday the organist plays the Charles Marie Widor Toccata #5, one of my favorites. Meanwhile, down at Bestor Plaza (maybe a block away) all the children from the children's programs (and with this week's theme being "KIDS", there were alot of children on the grounds) were gathering in their hand made hats and decorations for the annual children's July 4th parade. Too cute for words. All was well when I realized that the kids were going to march to the amphitheater, and in fact arrived just as the Toccata was being played. I got lots of cute pictures of all the kids as they marched on stage and sang patriotic songs. Tomorrow will be a barbeque cookout that I will attend, and after the Pops concert, fireworks over the lake. This is one reason I extended this week. I will sing in church on Sunday morning and then head for home.

Today I broke with routine somewhat. I did some walking around, some reading, and some last minute visits to places I had not been yet, like the bookstore. After lunch I decided to go to the Muslim prayers which were announced and guests were invited. It was fascinating to hear the call to prayer, and to have the leaders of the Muslim community here explain what was happening and then allow us to watch the prayers. We were invited to join in if we wanted, but I figured I'd better see what was going on so I wouldn't make fool of my self. It was really cool. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the universal acceptance here of all beliefs, including non-beliefs. It is refreshing to be around a religious community that is all accepting of everyone. The young Muslim leader is a roommate of one of the Jewish leaders. How cool is that?

I did not go to the final Gnostic Gospel lecture, but was told it was great, so I was able to purchase the CD and will listen on the way home. It was rainy and cold again today, and I was in the mood to look for a warm, dry, comfortable place to read. I went to the Alumnae Hall where my class meets and found just such a space and read my book until class started.

It was hard to say goodbye to the people in class. We all wish it could go on. After sharing our writing for a week, we really have learned about each other in pretty personal ways. It's always hard to break that kind of a group.

After dinner I had choir practice, my last one this week, and then the first orchestra concert of the year. It was a terrific concert with Mozart's Clarinet Concerto (the middle slow movement of that piece always reminds me of the famous Robert Redford washing Meryl Streep's hair in Out of Africa. The Mozart concerto is playing on a record player during that scene!). THe second piece was Holst's The Planets. Choral Arts is supposed to sing part of that piece with the National Symphony this year. Not sure where the choir comes in since there was no choir for this performance. But it should be interesting.

Once I finish this, I will be packing up. I have to be out of here by 10 in the morning, and have to have the room ready for the next people. Part of the reasonable rates is being your own maid! Then I will move to the home of one of the choir members for Saturday night. I'm not anticipating having internet available to me at that house, so I'll have to finish this blog when I get home, hopefully Sunday night.

It is so hard to leave, especially when I see the preparations around the grounds for Week 2. The theme is National Geographic, and already there are huge breathtaking photos from around the world constructed all over the place. I think I'll definitely plan on being here Week 1 next year. They've already announced some of the stuff that will be offered. Alan Alda will be here among others. What an amazing place. I'll finish this off when I can. In the meantime, Happy 4th of July to all! RP