Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On Being Profound!

My older son, Chad, the radio personality, is a piece of work. When he was a young teen, we used to watch the TV show Frasier. He LOVED Frasier. It was one of the shows that could make him laugh out loud for days, and one of the many shows that he had committed to memory. He can pretty much still quote every line from every show. This was not a typical show that would hold the attention of a boy that age. Frasier was a very smart comedy, with a brilliant marriage of writing and character delivery. You have to be smart to know how funny Frasier is. Chad loved the personality of Frasier, especially when he would begin "going nuts" and yelling things, in that wonderfully pretentious way he had. In one episode Frasier runs to a window and shouts out at the top of his lungs: "WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?????" Chad still recounts that moment with laughter and appreciation.

I feel like Frasier much of the time. I spend an inordinate amount of time analyzing what each and every experience means to the grand scheme of my life. It's a bit OCD, I admit. But it is my nature.

So last night I'm rereading the last post of this blog from Week One at Chautauqua. And I'm remembering how it felt to rip myself away from that community and make my way home. Now please don't get me wrong: I LOVE home! I literally live IN HEAVEN, so no tears should ever be shed on my behalf at the prospect of coming home. But I was really missing where I was leaving.

Having said that, in the past 4 weeks I have had it reinforced to my existential way of thinking, that if I just go with the flow of life and have an open mind, wonderful things will happen. This past 4 weeks has SO not been just a way-station between Chautauqua moments. If I had not come home, here is what I would have missed:

1. Two fabulous musicals at the Kennedy Center: The Color Purple and Spring Awakening- both were outstanding. And the chance to spend two evenings with one of my dearest friends, Dave.

2. The chance to audition successfully into the 2009-2010 season of the Choral Arts Society of Washington.

3. The chance to attend the final appearance of Chad as his radio show, The Big O and Dukes Show, broadcast their last show after 5 years of being together. I got to meet hundreds of his fans, and play my role as Mama Dukes, even signing autographs. What a surreal experience for a mom!

4. The chance to hear Chad begin his new radio show along side Redskin Lavar Arrington. Chad is as good as a sports radio personality as he was when he was wacky Chad Dukes. His story of going from a kid listening to his heroes on the radio to being one of them is something I'd like to try to write in the near future.

5. The chance to have a spectacular lunch at the Oracle Company in Reston with my son Casey who is taking the place by storm with his outgoing personality, human relations skills, and willingness to learn. His story in the last 5 years, of going from his first job of working for Enterprise Rent-A-Car and washing cars in a suit, to selling contracts for trash containers to ending up as a rising star at Oracle is the stuff of legends.

6. The chance to work along side Larry Alan Smith, maybe one of the most amazing human beings I've known, as he has delivered "in spades" his 2009 Wintergreen Music Festival; Appalachian Roots. Being his assitant is the "highest paying volunteer job" on the planet and a total privilege.

7. The chance to assist a world-class chef at one of the the Festival cooking classes! I put teeny-tiny slivers of radish on one dish, and fried up homemade tater tots for another. People were coming up to me afterward and asking me which restaurant I worked at. I didn't have the heart to tell them Chez Lean Cuisine! I gave Ben, the chef, my number in case he needs part-time help with his catering business! Who knows?

8. The chance to run the light board for a world-class actor - Barbara Bates Smith - as she presented two plays from the writings of Lee Smith (Fair and Tender Ladies, and On Agate Hill). Fabulous!

9. The opportunity to proctor a writing workshop by Barbara Bates Smith which resulted in 14 women who now want to form a writing group starting in September. We'll have the first organizational meeting in my home. So exciting!

10. The chance to see breathtaking musical performances, the highlight of which was last night when pianist Brian Ganz played three Beethoven piano sonatas with such brilliance and sensitivity and passion that I was LITERALLY weeping in my seat. Thank God I've stopped wearing makeup!

11. The chance to get back to my new workout regimen, which, although excruciatingly difficult each and every time, has resulted in my being able to walk up flights of stairs and mountain passages with increased ease and endurance and NO PAIN IN MY KNEE! Miraculous!

12. The chance to break the TV habit which had plagued me with inactivity and opportunities to eat too much. After a week in Chautauqua, I have felt no compunction to turn the tube back on, except for CBS Sunday Morning. . my favorite show. I feel liberated and alive as a result!

And so in three days I head back to Chautauqua full of excitement and expectation. On Friday night I will stay in the Pittsburgh area like I did last time (the night Michael Jackson died - the last time I watched TV!), only this time I'll stay with my new friend Sandy, whom I met at Chautauqua in July (see July 4th entry!). New friends are the best gift in the world.

So let the blogging begin. May you all be having the same wonderful times in your own lives. "The best is yet to be" has never rung truer for me than in this summer of 2009! Ain't that profound????