Thursday, July 2, 2009

Week 1 Day 6

When you cross over the border into Maine, there is a sign that says: Maine - The Way Life's Supposed to Be. Now I love Maine, but in my book I am now in a place that is The Way Life's Supposed to Be. For the past several months I have been independently studying the verses of the Tao Te Ching, one verse at a time. For the past two days, the verses have been about living without force and weapons. I happen to subscribe to the notion that war, fighting and physical violence are NEVER the answer to anything. And that caused me to reflect about this community where I am currently living. I'm not sure of the square mileage of the grounds of Chautauqua, but there are hundreds of houses, and thousands of people around all the time. I would be willing to bet there is not a firearm or weapon anywhere on these grounds, and as far as my experience has been, there are virtually no door keys anywhere. It's just a place where people have the self control to decide to live in peace, despite many varying views about how the world works. It's a place of tolerance and kindness.

As of last night I had a plan for today. Since in less than 48 hours I have to be packed and out of this room, leaving it ready for the next person, I had decided that today I would begin organizing myself for that move, doing a bit of laundry, going to the gym, etc. etc. But my plan never happened.

After an early morning trip to the Farmer's Market to replenish the fruit and vegetable larder, I got my copy of the Chautauquan Daily (which, by the way is completely accessible by internet if anyone is interested in checking out the pictures I've mentioned or reading wonderful synopses about any of the programs, or to get an idea of what is offered each day. Even the ads are interesting. http://daily.ciweb.org). From the minute I started reading, I knew that I would not be getting my act together today.

But first let me tell about the family that is staying at my house. About 10 members, multi-racial, and apparently vegetarian. The son-in-law is a NYC Fireman. I saw him in the kitchen a couple of days ago preparing the most delicious looking vegetable soup from scratch. In this family, each person is responsible for the main meal each day, and this was his day. He was a man after my own heart as he carefully peeled many garlic cloves, one by one. He worked on that soup all morning and the smell was divine all day. Then this morning I saw a 10 or 11 year old boy from that family carefully consulting a fairly dated cookbook, and whipping up oatmeal cookies from scratch. He was really enjoying himself, and I have to say I was impressed by how he was using the implements, measuring cups, etc. This kind of family dynamic is not something you see every day. But it is in Chautauqua.

So after church today I planned my day. I could not miss the 10:45 lecture after all, because it was about Sesame Street and the Muppets. As a part of this, there were fabulous film segments about the 40 years of Sesame Street. I recognized many of the programs I had watched with my kids. But the most fun was that one of the real muppets, Rosita, was there "in person." Where I was sitting I could not only see the muppet, but could watch the handler who was behind a podium. What a thrill to see this kind of genius talent live. The muppets are an impressive organization and have done many specials to help kids cope with everything from natural disaster (after 911) to military kids having their parents come back home with missing arms and legs. It was such an inspiring program!

After that I quickly packed a bag lunch and dashed to the theater building (about a quarter of a mile away) and saw a lunchtime special with the cast of the Tom Stoppard play "Arcadia" which I will see on Saturday night. I love behind the scenes presentations anyway, and seeing the actors and hearing about the play ahead of time was a real treat.

From there I went to get my iced coffee and headed for the 2:00 lecture. Elaine Pagels was gone, but her colleague from the Harvard Divinity School, Karen King, who has also written extensively about the Gnostic Gospels, spoke on the Gospel of Truth. Again fascinating.

Then off to my writing class which was again really great. The group is getting pretty close as we share writings that are sometimes fairly personal. There is nothing like getting to know a person through hearing their writing.

Back for dinner and then Thursday choir practice at 6:00. I'll be singing Sunday morning but not Sunday evening which is too bad because the theme for the Sunday Song Service is African Carols, and the African music is such fun to sing.

Tonight is a dance concert. I watched the first half and then decided to come back here and turn in. I doubt I'll get my act together tomorrow either. . .the last regular day of this week. It's going to be hard to imagine the place carrying on without me next week. But carry on they will. I'm glad I'm coming back this year. More tomorrow. RP