Sunday, July 11, 2010

Act 1 - Finale

I'm sitting in my little room listening to a band concert over at the amp. It's a
typical Chautauqua Sunday. But I'm getting ready to move out. I'm blogging in the afternoon so that I can take my computer up to the car. Hopefully, this means I can get up and grab one small bag and walk to the car early tomorrow morning. If I have to go, I best get going.

Even though I'm devouring cough drops to get through the choir anthems (2 pieces of music this morning that went well, about 8 for tonight), I'm glad I waited these two extra days to return.

One of the reasons I'm glad is that I once again got to observe one of most inspiring men I've ever seen in the front row of church this morning. I observed this same man last year, and I'm not sure how many weeks he comes, so I'm glad I got to see him. I'm going to take a leap and predict that the other younger man who sits with him in a wheel chair is his middle aged son. I'm going to take a further leap by saying that the son seems to be afflicted with cerebral palsy, or some other physically handicapping condition. He doesn't seem to have the ability to speak, but often grunts loudly if he feels strongly about something. His father uses a type of sign language with him. This caregiver man, the father, is the most patient, loving man I have ever seen. He has to tend to his son constantly to keep him occupied and quiet for the duration of the service. There is not a moment in the service where the man is not stroking the arm or leg of his son, or providing him with a magazine (I could see the title DOG on the cover) which he leafs through over and over again. I have seen so much affection and love go back and forth between these two. And today sitting in the choir and seeing him again a year later, I realized that while I was traveling blissfully back and forth to choir during the year, or going to book club, or riding my tractor around my fields, or working out at my gym, this man has been caring for his loved one (again. . . a leap, but I bet it's true.). Neither my father nor my children's father ever showed much patience for hanging out with their normal, high-functioning kids for any long period of time. And yet, here is this man, watching his own life pass by, and still managing to deal with his son with kindness, and laughter and love. WOW!!!!!!

I just got my "bill" at the place I'm staying for 10 days stay (I had already paid the first week). . . . .the total was $200!!!!! The price of a nun's cell and shared kitchen seems to be exactly the same amount as boarding Chester at camp per day!!! This is why the leap to a condo for next season is such a stretch for me!!! But with careful planning I can swing the condo, and I will leave these cute little rooms and these lovely people for others who may not be able to come here any other way.

Sacred Song Service tonight. . .we have eight songs to sing. One is a gospel version of the Hallelujah Chorus which could go fine or tank big time. At least I'm leaving town shortly thereafter.

Next week the theme is: From Asia to the Middle East: Energy, Capital and Conflict. While that is certainly a mouthful, I hate to be missing it. The Pakistani Ambassador, among others will speak. I think the plan is also to have women from various middle eastern countries speak about their lives.

Also, it's been National Public Radio week here. And there is a film crew from Buffalo who spent 22 days on the grounds last summer and have created a program: Chautauqua: An American Narrative, that is expected to premiere on PBS stations in early 2011. I can't wait to see that, and it would give anyone interested in this place a chance to really see what I'm talking about.

OK - I expect I'll blog when I get back up here on or about August 6. Provided I survive my cold. . ..which it seems that I will. Thanks for asking. . . . . :)