Thursday, July 1, 2010

The next day. . . . .

"There is a crack in everything. . .that's how the light gets through."
Unknown


Today was a typical day for me last year. It was crammed full from beginning to end.

When I went to the farmer's market at 7 AM I noticed an ad for a one-person apartment. It belongs to the lady I buy my lunches from. She sent me down with a key to look at it. Cute efficiency, good location, nice bathroom, big closet, kitchen with dining table. No outside space which I would love. However, this one was considerably less expensive than the one I will look at on Saturday. Still looking for my "home" for next season. It's fun to look and contemplate a full season here.

Loved the service this morning because I loved both pieces we sang. One was The Heavens are Telling from The Creation by Haydn. Another piece that I sang back in high school and church choir. So much fun to sing. It was another cool and sunny, beautiful day. My spirits were soaring from the choir loft overlooking the congregation and breathing in the fresh air.

Roger Rosenblatt's "friend" today was a former student of his: Amy Fadiman. She is primarily an essayist these days. Her most famous book is a work of non-fiction called The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down. I've heard wonderful things about it, so it's on my list. But I was really interested in hearing her talk about essay writing, because that is what I like to write. My blogs for Choral Arts were kind of like essays. These blogs are more like accountings of my activities, but I like writing in the essay format. She read some amazing stuff from her book of essays: Confessions of a Common Reader. She read a very funny and astute piece about the time she and her husband finally decided to merge their individual book collections after several years of marriage. I thoroughly enjoyed her conversation with Roger.

I bolted out of there before the final audience question in order to be at Hurburt Church to get one of the lunches they sell each day. After getting my lunch (to go) I walked next door to the theater where they were having a Brown Bag Lunch group to discuss the theater season, and specifically a New Writer's Workshop that I will attend on Saturday. A noted playwright (Molly Smith Metzler) brings a play and in 4 days they stage it with scenery and costumes. It's her opportunity to see and hear it performed and then to make changes. It begins tomorrow night, and by the time I see it on Saturday, lots of changes will have been made. Looking forward to that. . . .I LOVE process!!!

Hurried from there to help our choir manager load up some music, and then went to secure a seat (on the ground by a tree) for the 2:00 lecture. Haven't been attending those, but the guy is very interesting and is really throwing a monkey wrench into traditional religious beliefs. I find I'm on board with pretty much everything he is saying. Maybe should get a book or two of his!

Immediately following that presentation was Roger Rosenblatt reading from "Making Toast." I did get the opportunity to ask him to lead us all in Boppo the Great and everyone seemed to enjoy that.

From there it was a quick dinner and then off to choir practice. And from there the first half of the evening concert in the AMP, the North Carolina Dance Theater which is in residence here every summer. I found myself getting drowsy so I left at intermission. As I type this I can hear part two music since my room overlooks the back of the AMP.

Yesterday I took the time to stop into the book store for the first time this summer. The place was crawling with people. I looked around in this beautiful store and thought, "So much for the weak economy!" The book store is a sacred and "happenin" space at Chautauqua!

Can't believe that tomorrow is the final day of week 1. Saturday is transition day with people coming and going. I'm so glad I'm staying put for another week!