Friday, July 9, 2010

The end of an era. . . .

I guess I have to admit that I'm officially "sick." Although, I didn't let it keep me away from what I really wanted to do. Sniffles, sore throat, achy legs. . . . .Blahh! I skipped this morning's lecture and drove to Mayville to get paper plates for the choir picnic on Sunday.

Got home and took a nap and laid low for an hour or so. It finally was raining, and much cooler. I hope that officially breaks this heat wave!

Went to the indoor location to hear the 2:00 lecture via camera. Hadn't planned to go, but it was excellent. . .the end of the Ethics of Leadership series, this time with a Rabbi speaking. He was terrific. Immediately after that was the presentation I really wanted to see. . .a woman portraying Eleanor Roosevelt. . . .one of my heroes. ER appeared at Chautauqua for 10 years straight between 1927 and 1937 on a variety of topics. The only year she missed in that 10 year span was the year FDR came and gave his famous I HATE WAR speech. The presentation was great. I actually knew more than the presenter because people asked questions that she could not answer. I kept my mouth shut (shocker) but all the ravenous reading I did about her years ago paid off!

Choir tonight. Needed to go to sing on Sunday, but it was hard since I didn't feel great. The program tonight is Tim Conway and Friends, and I went to see about a half hour of it. It is hilarious, but I've come home to go to bed. I have to switch rooms. . back into the first building again tomorrow for the last two days.

Also, I finished The Red Thread, which I loved. I bought and have started That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. I have to read The Girl Who Played With Fire when I get home, but the book store was sold out of that one!

Hopefully, after a good night's sleep, I'll be on the mend tomorrow.