Saturday, July 3, 2010

New Digs!

"I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy!" George M. Cohan



I admit it. I'm a shameless Yankee Doodle Dandy tonight, and it's only July 3. Having sung on the Washington DC Mall several years ago on July 4, there's not much than can top that scene. But Chautauqua comes in a very close second, and after it's all over you can walk back to your quarters. No traffic!

This morning dawned as the day I had to move from one house, out the back door and into the second house. Sounds easy? Not so much. First of all I brought WAYYYYYYY too much stuff for these two weeks (as usual) and it took a good deal of time to pack up everything, haul it down three flights of steps, and then haul it up another flight of steps in the other building. I certainly didn't need to go to the gym today. I even made two walks to the parking lot about a half mile away to take some stuff to the car. Unfortunately, on the first trip I discovered I had left my keys back at the house. This is in stark contrast to my normal life when I won't move anywhere without my car keys in my hand! So let's just say much physical effort was expended this morning in the humidity with getting moved from one place to another.

Armed with that experience, I went to see the other condo that's available for next season. Holy cow. . . it's adorable and PERFECT and expensive. But it has it's own front porch, it's right in the center of town, only steps from the AMP where we rehearse and sing, it has a full kitchen, big closets, and a claw foot bath tub!!! And two other single women in the adjoining condos. I can see wine parties on the porch already. I'm going to have to go home and see how I can set aside enough money each month to pay for this, but if I sell my house, that would be a help. But as far as I'm concerned this is a done deal at least for one summer to see how it goes.

Saturdays are very unique in that there is a flurry of activity as everyone who is leaving has to check out by 9:30. Cars and hugging and packing everywhere. Then miraculously around 9:45 everything goes very quiet. The place is positively subdued. Then at 3:00 check in time, the beehive starts all over again with fresh meat arriving by the carloads! Today at 12:15 was the community band concert for
4th of July (on the 3rd of July). This is Norman Rockwell at his best. Hundreds of families on blankets on the lawn surrounding the band which is playing songs like "In the Good Old Summertime." Everyone is singing along. . . even the kids. Ice cream cones, lawn games, red, white and blue on everyone! If it's not Norman Rockwell it's certainly Charles Wysocki!

I attended the theater production of a new play being staged for the first time. I saw the intro to this at lunch one day this past week. Well, I didn't really care for the play at all. . . but I thought the process was fun to watch.

Choir practice tonight and then the orchestra pops concert for July 4 (on July 3). There were Sousa Marches, a piano concerto by Leroy Anderson (of Sleigh Ride fame), a patriotic sing-along, the military theme songs, and the grand finale which is the 1812 Overture. Everyone is given paper bags, and when the canon part comes in everyone blows up the paper bags and pops them. I know, I know. . .it's hokey. . .but so much fun. And of course the encore was Stars and Stripes Forever with a giant American flag being unfurled at the end. It was dripping schmaltz!!! Then everyone troops down to the lake where all the communities around the whole 20+ mile circumference of the lake light red flares so the whole lake is outlined. And then around 10 there are about 6 - 8 fireworks displays going on all around the lake with the Chautauqua Bell Tower playing patriotic music to beat the band!!! Yikes it's effective!

I stayed down by the lake for awhile but then decided I'd rather come home and get a shower before all the rest of the people get back.

My new room is smaller than the last, but I have more refrigerator space, and the shower facilities are nicer. And once again I'm right next to the bathroom. So I'm pretty pleased. Especially when I can fall asleep dreaming of my little condo for next year!!!!! All in all a spectacular 4th (on the 3rd).