Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19

Well, I just have to set the scene right now. It's nearly totally dark and I'm typing by only the light emitted from the screen. The rooming house where I'm staying is directly across a narrow lane from the Amphitheater, which tonight has been converted from a concert hall to a dance hall. This is the annual Summer Ball complete with a big band, disco ball hanging from the ceiling, and dancers from the very tiny children to old old folks and everyone in between. Many have dressed for the occasion in fancier clothes than the normal everyday attire. The strains of Duke Ellington's Satin Doll are wafting over the night, and I can see the sparkles circulating like fireflies over the dancers as the disco ball spins. I swear its right out of Dirty Dancing, and I half expect to see Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze stealing away to take the path down to the lake where they will have their own brand of music making in the summer night. It's fantastic!

Today at noon I had a mountaintop experience for me in that Jared was giving an organ recital in the amphitheater and he gave an all JS Bach program. This is nirvana. Unfortunately I had to leave to get to my writing class and had to leave before his finale. . .Toccata and Fugue in D minor. This is a classic and one which I played in college. But I heard him play it during week 1, so if I had to skip one piece, that was the one.

I am loving my writing class and the teacher/author. I have bought her new, first novel and am thinking about hiring her for a half hour in the next couple of days so I can pick her brain about her process. She is really nice, and such a great writer. Our assignment for tomorrow is to write Post-it Stories, each no longer than what can fit on a post-it that is about the size of a large index card. This is the essence of Flash Fiction, which is the topic for the workshop this week. Challenging and fun.

From the class I headed for the movie theater where I caught a matinee of a movie called Easy Virtue with Jessica Biel, Colin Firth and Kristin Scott Thomas. It was terrific. I have several movies to see in the next week and a half.

After the movie I came back and snarfed down dinner in order to go to the Women's Club building where I saw an original one-woman-show written and acted by the woman in my class who I said almost married Paul of Peter, Paul, and Mary. She lives, writes, and acts in New York in her real life, and interestingly enough, also owns a home at Wintergreen!!!! She sings in the Motet choir with me as well. Lots of "small world" experiences up here.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to see another movie, but I have to get back to the gym after settling today with a walk half way around the grounds this morning. It's cooler and less humid. I wore jeans comfortably today. . . .that is life at it's best for me.

My friend Sandy is on day 2 of her trek. I'm planning to write my first Post-It story about her trip. According to hubby Bill, all is well. She is making her goals and meeting people. Two days down, eight to go. Until tomorrow.. . .