Thursday, August 27, 2009

August 27

More Big Guns. . .just not quite as big. . . .

Today's lecturer was Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. He was a great speaker, very knowledgeable, personable, and he made some great points. Sandra Day O'Connor was in the audience as well. She is a regular Chautauquan. After the lecture I ate lunch and went back to see Mary, my massage therapist. She spent a half hour showing me how to do hand and forearm massages on seniors. To teach this to me she had to give me a great hand and arm massage, and then I had to give her one. It was fun to be on the other side. Now I have to take what I know and go back and just be brave enough to march into that nursing home and get started. That seems like the hard part.

After that I went to the gym, as I hadn't been in two days and to tell the truth what I really needed was a shower! This is the last time I'll work out in the gym by the water this season. I may work one more session in at the main gym on Saturday or Sunday.

On the way back from the gym, I saw the crowd gathering for the talk by the author of the book, The Hemingses of Monticello. This was one of the book selections for this season. I dropped my stuff in my room and went back and found a place on the grass. I would love to read that book, it is on my list. Let's see. . . . should I read it before or after all of the David McCullough books? How can I keep up with my two book clubs and all this new reading I have to do?

Had choir tonight. There's an end of season choir picnic on Sunday. Doesn't that sound like high school???? The weather has been sweatshirt cool, so I hope it's like that and not rainy for the picnic.

Tomorrow I'm doing something I haven't done. .I'm leaving campus with my new friend Jane to go to Jamestown for the better part of the day. Stay tuned to see how that went.

Sandy is home, and showered and napped. Can't wait to talk to her! I'm in my room with the strains of some guy from New Orleans performing in the amphitheater. Decided to listen from my room. Sara Evans is tomorrow night! Until then. . . .RP