Monday, August 24, 2009

August 24

This week is going to be Rich and Full.

Today I sang in the church service, as usual. Only this week I stick around to hear Otis Moss preach. Amazing, as ususal.

I skipped the lecture in favor of the gym, but caught the end of the lecture on the way back and I could tell it was a goody, so I may buy the CD. The theme this week is Liberty. The lecturer was Hunter R Rawlings III (that doesn't sound too pretentious!). He is president emeritus of Cornell University and also teaches Classics and History. He spoke of the Greeks and Romans ideas of liberty, as well as speaking about the Enlightenment in the 18th century. However, I got my weight training done. I can listen to the lecture going home in the car.

My first class session today was fun. The class is Women Traveling Solo, and I like the women in the group and I like the teacher. It only meets M,T, & W so my afternoons will be more free than last week. After the class session I went out to the front of the Turner Center where the Chautauqua Labyrinth is. The circular labyrinth pattern is created on the lawn and is a twisting turning path towards the middle and then out again. It is used for meditation, relaxation, etc. I've never used them much, but I enjoyed walking this one.

This afternoon's movie was Frost/Nixon which I had not seen. It is a very powerful movie about a period of time which I don't remember all that well. The performances are spectacular, and of course little Ronnie Howard does not direct a bad movie!

I went to the Disciples house where I stayed on week 6 and joined my friends, Phyllis and Bill Duty and some of their friends for dinner. 87 year old Phyllis threw a dinner party after going to activities all day. I personally saw her on her way to a chamber music concert at 4:00, but dinner was served by 6:00! Lots of fun.

Tonight's performance was a singing group called 5 By Design, and they sang themes from old TV shows and commercials among other things. Very enjoyable. I was knitting while I was waiting for the concert to start and met a woman who wanted the pattern. So after the concert I followed her back to her house. She and her husband are host and hostess for the Unitarian house, which is new and which I had never seen. It's really beautiful. It's fun to meet all these new people in such off-hand ways.

Highlight of the day. . . a call from Casey to see how I was doing. Always nice to be checked up on!

My friend Sandy is getting closer to home. Her husband is planning a party to welcome her off the trail on Thursday when she arrives on Afton Mountain. Wish I could be there, but certainly don't mind being here! RP