Wednesday, August 26, 2009

August 26

Wednesday of Week 9 and Chautauqua is not going to go quietly. Today they brought out the BIG GUNS for sure.

The morning lecture featured Jim Lehrer "interviewing" Thomas Jefferson and his slave Jupiter. These were portrayed by some well-known historic portrayers from Williamsburg. First there was a skit by the two men, and then Jim Lehrer spontaneously interviewed them. . . first in character, and then as their real selves. This lecture was so popular that they had to close the gates during the church service so that people could not clomp in during the sermon (by Otis Moss and already well attended) in order to secure good seats. The service was over a little after 10, and people poured into the place for the 10:45 lecture. The 5,000 seat amphitheater was pretty much filled for it. I got a good seat because as a choir member, I was allowed to re-enter the space after we sang. It was a great "lecture" and pretty cool to see Jim Lehrer. We speculated that he must have had to fly out pretty quick afterwards in order to get back to his tv show which would inevitably be covering the Ted Kennedy funeral plans.

It rained most of the day. I had lunch in the restaurant - portobello melt sandwich - and then went to my last class. It was a good class, but I'm glad it only lasted 3 days. I had planned to go to the gym after that, but the rain and the fact that my legs are sore and I was sleepy kept me from doing that. I had a decaf cappocino (I have no idea how to spell that word) and read at the cafe. Then went home and took a 45 minute nap. After dinner I read until time to stake out my seat for David McCullough. Only at Chautauqua could an author invoke the same manic response as a rock band. The people lined up very early in the rain to get in and get their seats. The place was filled to overflowing by 7:45 for an 8:15 appearance. I swear, Jennifer Anniston could walk across this campus unrecognized, but give us an author, documentary film maker, radio personality and the like, and we will go beserk!

David McCullough did not disappoint. And I can give out the scoop on his latest book that he is now working on (without a title). It's about the period of time between 1830 and the beginning of WWI. It's about the large number of Americans who went to Paris for education and enlightenment. I had no idea that Paris was so progressive and influential a place for learning. There were no medical schools in this country at the time. . . most doctors had apprenticed with other doctors with no medical training. Doctors could go to Paris and receive state of the art education for FREE! Other figures in the group are Harriet Beecher Stowe, Samuel Morse who was a well-known artist before ever giving us the telegraph. Also Charles Sumner and others who we really don't know about but who were really significant. I thought one of the most interesting and valid points he made was that in Paris at that time, people were outside. . . in the cafes, on the sidewalks, going to artistic and intellectual events. Much like we do at Chautauqua. And it made me realize that at home I'm in the house a great deal. But here, my room is just a stopping off place and a place to sleep. Up here, we're outside with the other people all day long, rain or shine. And it is this social contact that is so stimulating, along with the commonality of what we are all experiencing.

Another interesting detail is that David McCullough's high school history teacher was in the audience. Can you imagine the experience for him seeing one of his students who has achieved such fame and admiration for his ability to relate history to the masses? As a teacher, that part gives me chills!

Tomorrow the lecturer is Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. These heavy hitter lecturers, and Otis Moss, have assured Chautauqua of big crowds even though the symphony, opera, and theater are done for the season.

Now as for Sandy. . .she arrives home tomorrow morning and many of her friends will be there as she comes off the trail. She was able to take her little dog, Winnie, with her for one leg of the trip. Winnie, a pug who is pretty chubby, apparently scared off a 350 pound black bear that was coming up behind Sandy. I hope Sandy writes a book! Can't wait to hear the adventures when I get home.

Until tomorrow. . . .RP