Saturday, May 16, 2009

DAY 16 - PHASE 4

Be careful what you wish for. I said I didn't want heat, and I don't have it! It's very cool here in Bar Harbor, and a little misty. But what a grand place it is. But first. . . . how I got here!

Did not repeat my sleeping-in debacle of yesterday. I was out of Jean's house by 7:30 this morning. I decided to give her a break from having to fix me breakfast and get breakfast on the road. I have truly loved my trip so far with the luxury of having company on a daily basis, and having that company be people I really care about. But taking off today for the solo portion of the trip was wonderful. I really like making it up as I go along. . . .just me and the open road!!!!!


MINUTE MAN LUST
I decided to head for Lexington and at least drive through there. I was able to find a parking space across from the green where the Revolutionary War got started. It is a beautiful town, and I look forward to returning and seeing that town and Concord, Walden Pond, etc. on another visit. I did get a picture of the Minute Man statue, which, according to my guide book has him dressed inappropriately for the time of year when the skirmish took place. Apparently short sleeves were not called for on a cold April morning. At any rate, the Minute Man was a hunka burning love if you ask me. According to our guide in Boston, Sam Adams was butt ugly, so all the statues and beer labels really have a picture of Paul Revere, who I guess was much better looking. Maybe the Minute Man was Paul????????

MAINE - THE WAY LIFE SHOULD BE
I decided to get off 95 once I got into Maine and go up Route 1 through Ogunquit, where I've been twice and have loved. I stopped at a restaurant for breakfast and had, what else, LOBSTER BENEDICT!!!! This is in keeping with my last two trips to Maine when I have vowed to eat lobster a minimum of once a day, a maximum of however many times I wanted. All I can say about the lobster benedict is that it was WICKED GOOD!
Jumped on 95 after Ogunquit until north of Portland. I like the slow easy route along the water. And it did not disappoint.

READING MATERIAL
In keeping with my determination to be reading books that are set in the place where I am, I stopped in a couple of bookstores on the way up Route 1 to find my "Bar Harbor novel." The first shop was very interesting, but their idea of used books was to take a 10 year old novel that had been out in paperback for years, and price the hardback version $2 under the original price. I'm used to buying books like this for a buck at the thrift store. The second store I went to was the bookstore that most of us have dreamed of owning in our retirement. In a quaint little village, on the main drag, on the corner of the block, made of red brick with big windows with cute displays. It was adorable. I bought two full price books there, neither of them set in Bar Harbor, but interesting none the less. You just gotta support places like that!

DUNKIN' DONUTS
There is a Dunkin Donuts shop about every 5 feet up here - ever since I got to Connecticut. This makes me wonder if there are as many where I live and I just haven't noticed! At any rate, an ice coffee from there helped keep me alert for the drive! I'll probably stop there again.

BAR HARBOR
The closer I got to Bar Harbor the more beautiful it got. My B&B is great. Easy walk to town, wireless internet, a new flat screen TV in my room, and Patti and Bruce, the owners who have already scoped out my trip to Campobello, and have arranged for me to get an overview bus tour of Acadia National Park tomorrow. This is a good plan since it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I walked to town after I got here and bought some bubble bath for my claw foot tub which is in my room, and had dinner. . . . .you guessed it. . . . . the lobster special which included a 1 1/4 pound lobster, rice and green beans. And glass of Kendall Jackson! That's lobster twice today. Ah Maine. . . . .The Way Life is Supposed to Be!!!!! Stay tuned. . .