Monday, May 4, 2009

DAY THREE - even though it's 4

Ahhhhh - Island living! No internet in the house that I can get to work, so I'm in The Bean coffee shop on Day 4, reporting on day 3. I may have to come here every day.

Joan and I caught the 11:00 ferry to Nantucket yesterday. This is distinquished by the fact that two high school la crosse teams were also going over to play a game vs. Nantucket High. How would you like that commute as a soccer mom????? Needless to say the crossing was calm sea-wise, and rowdy boat-wise. Although the crossing is only an hour on the high speed (40 mph) boats.

We got a cab driver who had a Briscoe Darling beard (shout out to my family and any other Andy Griffith fans who understand that reference), was still mad about the Vietnam War, and felt the need to constantly put his hand on my leg after I was dumb enough to sit in the front seat. HOwever, it makes for great story telling! And it is likely the last "action" I will ever see in this lifetime. . . .

The weather is drizzly and likely to be so for the remainder of the week, the exception being the sun predicted on Wednesday. So we did not rent bikes for the week, but will just get one on the days we can ride. We walked our fannies off yesterday back and forth to grocery stores and town. It's glorious walking around here, even in the rain.

Had a great lunch in one of the restaurants that is open in this pre-season phase. An adorable waiter named Sean spent alot of time giving us references for my birthday dinner. . . he did not offer to accompany us, however. We walked to the spot and found the restaurant non-existent. We decided that either things are changing really fast around here, or Sean was having a great time at our expense. Either way. . . a great story.

The house is gorgeous. A wonderful kitchen begging to be cooked in, and I obliged by whipping up a great shrimp, white bean, tomato, basil dish last night. The upstairs could sleep nine, but one tiny bath would make it awkward if all the beds were filled. It is perfect for me, however, and that is my domain. Joan is the the beautiful room in the back of the house on the first floor. We don't even care about the weather. . .there's a great thousand piece jigsaw puzzle, and a huge dining room table just calling to us for the evenings. Are we little old ladies or what?

For those trying to post comments but can't. . . .try this. . . Read the blog, and then click on where it says 0 comments at the bottom. That should take you to a place where it gives you the option to post a comment. I can do that even if I haven't signed in on my account. And if there are any comments, you can read those as well. In the meantime, thanks Helene for the Sandy update. . . I'm thinking about you and Bill, Sandy. Thanks, Nancy for the lovely wishes. Chip and Dave, I hope you can figure out how post a comment, but I'll check my email as well.

If I miss a day posting, it's just that I haven't lugged my computer into town. . . either that or I contracted the swine flu, or I've been swept out to sea.

By the way. . .I'm still 59!!!!!! RP