Monday, May 11, 2009

DAY ELEVEN

The Captain's House, our inn in Rockport is sensational. We ate breakfast on the porch overlooking the sea. There were binoculars on the table, so I was able to check out the fishing boats as they passed by. I think I might possibly have caught sight of the Gordon's fisherman as he was bringing little square, breaded fish filets out of the water. But maybe not. It never ceases to amaze me that as I live the routine of my life, so many others are doing their day to day work, and it is so much different than mine.

Our room for the first two nights here is a large room with a queen sized bed, and a porch with a twin bed. I slept gladly on the porch last night. It was cool so I kept the windows shut where I could still hear the waves. It was a full moon as well. Glorious!

Bonnie and I caught the 10 o'clock train from Rockport to Boston. This is not a metro type train, but a true railroad train. It took about an hour and 15 minutes to get to Boston, passing the cutest little towns: Gloucester, Manchester by the Sea, etc. We were able to jump right on the T system from the train and went to Boston Common. We signed up for a guided walking tour of about 60% of the Freedom Trail narrated by a costumed docent. Very interesting. During one of his "presentations" we heard a scuffle close by, then heard a man's loud voice yelling "Thief!!!!" and saw a man running away very fast carrying what looked like a gym bag. No one really responded and I guess the guy got away. With costumed people all around, I guess it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't. But this I fear was very real. I held my purse a little tighter after that. But truth to tell, it was kind of exciting.

After the tour we ate at the Quincey Market - all you people who know Boston will no doubt know where that is. We walked for another part of the Freedom Trail, covering everything except the Charlestown part. We plan to go back there again tomorrow. So much to see and do. Weather was sunny but brisk. Great for walking around!

We're back at the Inn nursing our sore feet and contemplating dinner. . . .

I am currently reading The Last Days of Dogtown, by Anita Diamant who wrote The Red Tent, which I loved. This book is about the Dogtown area of Gloucester during the early 1800's. . .novelized of course, and absolutely fascinating. I'm trying to get it read while I'm here so that I once again am reading a story about the place where I'm at. . . .I have another book waiting as I head for Maine!

Sorry about the trouble posting comments. But thanks for those who are taking time to email me! It's great to be followed!!!!! Stay tuned. . . RP