Monday, May 18, 2009

DAY 18 - BAR HARBOR HELD OVER!

It's official. . .I'm staying an extra day. There's just too much to do and I'm not ready to leave this beautiful place.

Today I took what was supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour bus tour of Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. We were out nearly 3 1/2 hours! The guide was excellent . .a retired school teacher! We saw all the highlights of the Park - some which I had not seen the day before. I had already decided that after the tour I would drive back to the park and have a late lunch at Jordan Pond, the only restaurant inside the park. They are known for serving popovers with meals, and for offering an afternoon tea with popovers, strawberry jam, and tea. In summer, the tea is on tables out on the lawn overlooking the pond.

I, of course, needed my daily lobster fix, so I wasn't having no stinkin' tea!!! I ordered lobster quiche and salad. Delicious. And of course, blueberry crisp ala mode for desert. After lunch I donned my hiking boots, grabbed one of my hiking poles, and set out on a 3.2 mile hike around Jordan Pond. Another reason I love being here at this time. This is a popular hike in the summer, but I was virtually alone for an hour and a half in this breathtaking place. There is red and pink granite everywhere, and when you find some that is under water it is the most beautiful, vivid red. The pond itself is the island's drinking water and is reputed to be the cleanest pond in the country. And I believe it. I don't think I've ever seen such clear water.

After my hike I came back to town. I picked up my edamame salad for dinner and came back to the Inn.

It has been pretty cold all day - I'd say the upper 40's this afternoon. Tonight it's supposed to get down to 33 degrees! Hopefully it will be warmer and hopefully sunny tomorrow. My priorities are to hike the "bar" - a strip of land that is only exposed in low tide and offers hiking access to Bar Island. You have to watch the time or you can get stranded on this island until the next high tide. I still have another short hike in the park I would like to do.

In spite of not being able to go to Campobello, this has proved to be a highlight of my trip. I look forward to my last full day here, and my last lobster meal. RP