Friday, May 1, 2009

Birthday Bash Trip - Day 1

Icy tendrils of fear gripped RP as she made her way out into the early morning Virginia mist and headed for the car. . . . .Actually it wasn't that bad. But the icy tendrils of fear line is a shout out to Chad. . . .he'll understand the joke if he reads this.

But truthfully I always feel a little fearful and vulnerable at the very beginning of a long drive. But what the heck. . . I do it anyway. And today was great. . .8 1/2 hour drive . . .weather fine and traffic not so bad, even in New Jersey around New York.

But the best part was getting here in West Hartford, Connecticut. I have only met Helene once in my life. She stayed at my house one night when I wasn't even there. But what a welcome. She had invited two friends, Irma and Jane, to join us for a delicious dinner. And the biggest surprise was that Irma (who I had never met) made me a birthday cake FROM SCRATCH!!!!! Delicious. Candles and everything. And I'm still in my 50's!

Then we went to Central Connecticut State University to hear Anderson Cooper speak. He was amazing. . funny and profound and extremely attractive. We would have invited him back to the house, but he had his 10 o'clock broadcast on CNN to give from the very auditorium where we sat. Now Helene and I are back at her house waiting to watch him on TV. I'm a new fan. What a fabulous first day of my trip.

Tomorrow: Joan arrives!!!!!! Stay tuned. . . . RP