Sunday, May 10, 2009

DAY TEN - PHASE 2

A change of venues, and a change of companions. The celebration continues.

Joan and I awoke to bright sunshine (of course. . .) and breezy conditions on our last morning on Nantucket. We had washed everything the night before, so were ready when Kevin, AKA Briscoe Darling picked us up at 8:45. Joan sat in the front this time and seemed to emerge from the car unscathed. The crossing was uneventful, save for the choppy seas. We were grateful that it was not any worse.

Since we had some extra time, Joan and I decided to make the trip to Rockport to see the B&B where Bonnie and I were to stay tonight. Rockport, as it turns out, was swamped with people and no parking spaces. We managed to find a spot on a side street and had a lunch of fish and chips. We found The Captain's House (Google this and you'll see how wonderful it is). Wow! What a place. Right on the ocean and rocky coast. I'm glad Joan got to see it, and also the quaint town of Rockport, people and all. We drove back to Logan and met Bonnie whose plane had landed early. We got Joan's bags all squared away and enjoyed conversation and snacks at Au Bon Pain. All too soon it was time to say goodbye to Joan, which is always difficult but especially so this time. Among my most treasured "possessions" in life is this dear dear friend who I have known and loved since I was 4 years old!!! Not many people are lucky enough to have such a lifelong buddy.

Bonnie and I took the scenic route back to Rockport, driving through Salem among other small towns. We have arrived and settled in for the next 4 days. We plan to take the train to Boston tomorrow, and at least one other time too. The trip continues. Happy Mother's Day to all my friends who are mothers!!! RP