Friday, May 22, 2009

LAST DAY - FROM PENNSYLVANIA TO E-I-E-I-O!

And I'm home!!!

Today really was just a travel day. I brought out the book on tape I had brought from the library: Eat, Pray, Love. I had heard mixed reviews, but it's great and the perfect book to keep my mind off the dreaded highway 81, on which I drove all day!

So, to reflect on the trip:

LOBSTER
How many ways can a person eat lobster? Well in my case, twice as a lobster dinner ( you know, the rip it apart, snarf it down, take a shower version)- I had that once in Nantucket and once in Bar Harbor, lobster risotto ( Birthday lunch/dinner, Nantucket), lobster benedict (Ogunquit, Maine), lobster quiche (Jordan Pond, Acadia National Park), lobster roll (Bar Harbor), and lobster stew (last Maine meal, Bar Harbor Inn). It was all fantastic! Eating truly delicious food is one of life's great pleasures!

YANKEE INGENUITY

At a coffee shop I stopped in on my way to Vermont, I ordered iced coffee. They actually had ice cubes made out of coffee, so that as the ice melted, you still got more iced coffee!!! Genius!

MODES OF TRANSPORTATION

During the 3 weeks I traveled by foot, Toyota Rav 4, ferry boat, ferry boat shuttle bus, taxi cab, bicycle, Smart Car, train, subway, Duck vehicle (land and sea), water taxi, swan boat, and school bus.

LITTLE KNOWN TOWNS

Ever heard of Mexico, Maine? Me neither. But it's there!

LITTLE KNOWN FACTS

In Nantucket the staircase to the upper floor where I stayed was very steep and narrow with no railing. The only way I could come downstairs and feel safe was backward! Joan had to watch this every day.

UNIVERSAL TRUTH

Most people are nice! As a matter of fact, I didn't meet a not nice person on the whole trip. This is especially important when one is traveling along.

CREEPIEST REALIZATION

The Vermont Country Store sells sexual aids. Right there with the "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" shampoo and the root beer barrels and the Evening in Paris perfume!

LATEST BOOK RECOMMENDATION

I'm finishing up OLIVE KITTERIDGE by Elizabeth Strout. It's a Pulitzer Prize winning novel. It's really a series of short stories, brilliantly written, that are a novel when read together. This is a new favorite author of mine, and I look forward to reading other books by her.

MOST SIGNIFICANT REALIZATION

After experiencing such mind-blowing beauty in all the places I went, as I was driving down 81 coming home I realized that the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia is right up there with the others. I kept trying to imagine what a Vermonter driving through that section would be saying, and I'm guessing they would be impressed. I'm so lucky to live in this area, and to be able to visit other beautiful parts of this country as well.

E-I-E-I-O
Arrived home around three o'clock to find the grass up to my knees! So I've been out mowing this evening. Back on the tractor in the cool of the evening is a great finishing off spot. It will take me several days to get all this grass under control, but I'm up to the challenge. Even if I am 60!!!!

PS

Thanks for following. I'll be blogging two days next week when Patti and I go to the Homestead. And then at the end of June for my first trip to Chautauqua. Just keep checking in if you're interested. It's been great having you along on this trip. I was NEVER alone!!!! :)