Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back on line. . . hopefully

I just now finished the last pages of The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie, in preparation for his presentation tonight. It is a very convoluted book. . . .many characters with multiple names, darting back in forth in time. However, having persevered I really enjoyed it. Rushdie has a wonderful writing style and I look forward to seeing and hearing him in person tonight.

I now will start A Fierce Radiance by Lauren Belfer, which will be reviewed TOMORROW so no chance of doing any more than beginning it before the review.

Saw Joe and Paco in church this morning from my perch in the choir loft. Which meant I got to say goodbye. They were on their way to see Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright, which I have yet to see. So much fun hanging with them the past week.

Wonderful morning lecture from a man who is from University of Maine and on the front lines of that state's mission to build an off-shore wind farm which will literally power the state. This is promising technology, and his presentation was entertaining and informative.

Afternoon lecture was given by a Hindu woman, explaining their religious beliefs and practices. Really interesting. A social hour at the Disciples house where I stayed during weeks 1 and 2 included a slide presentation by my friend Jean Chandler (Phyllis and Bill's daughter) on her recent 3 1/2 week trip to India. This was a wonderful parallel to the Hindu woman's presentation and the book I just finished. The lecturer this morning referred to Chautauqua as Disneyland for the Brain. . . and it is indeed that.

Choir practice tonight and then the Rushdie presentation. We're still in full swing up here!