Friday, August 6, 2010

Breaking with tradition

Well, I've decided I just might not blog every night because this internet thing is again an issue, and I may use times during the day when I can get through. Or maybe I'll write more than once a day. Or maybe I'll skip a day! I'm just a loose cannon blog-wise right now. I could do ANYTHING!!!

It's Friday morning after church. The weekly choir breakfast was this morning. Pretty cheeky of me to turn up for the first time on breakfast day. I actually ate their breakfast which is usually some form of cheesy potatoes made by choir members. Most of the time I eat breakfast and then turn up for sparkling conversation. But I haven't made my Wegman's run yet.

However, I have made my first farmer's market visit at 7:30 this morning. On the way I bumped into Bill Duty. . . the now 92 year old gentleman who used to be good friends with my dad. He and his wife Phyllis (age 89 I think) originally told me about Chautauqua years ago. They still drive up from Kentucky or Florida every summer. This summer as they were driving in they hit a fierce storm which spawned a tornado not 20 miles from where they were. Yikes. My worst fear and they sailed through it. Maybe that's why he's a spry, active 92?????

Anyway. . .farmer's market. Got salad stuff, a piece of veggie pizza, a quart of red lentil soup, and a container of homemade 4 bean salad. Should do me for a few days of lunch and dinner until I get to Wegmans. We have farmer's market every morning but Sunday. How cool is that?

When I got in yesterday I realized that I had made it in time to catch the Clay Aiken/Ruben Studdard show which is tonight. For those of you out of the loop. . . these are American Idol winners from several years ago. This is back when I was watching American Idol. Well, I was going to go for sure. But this morning in choir our director told us that the AMP was going to be really busy today because of all the special demands being made by these two B level artists. . . special furniture and lamps for the dressing rooms, loads of snacks and drinks. I know this is common practice for celebrities, but it has made me decide to go to the movie I wanted to see tonight instead. Give me a break. . . you're going to be here for one afternoon and one concert. You don't need special furniture. Stay on your 8 million dollar bus between rehearsals. Or better yet. . . get out and walk these gorgeous grounds. And while you're at it, remember Rule #6: Don't take yourself so frikkin' seriously.

Well, now that I've ranted about that, I feel cleansed for the day ahead. I may write tonight. I don't know. The theme for this past week has been Public Education so I'm anxious to hear the final lecture today and maybe even the 2:00 lecture as well which will feature a panel of urban principals. Leave it to Chautauqua to tackle the very real issues about American Education. Ciao!