Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Stellar day!

This is proving to be the most interesting week. The fact that it's the last week of the season lends a poignancy to everything.

Our speaker this morning is a woman who has argued more cases in front of the Supreme Court than any other woman. . . .and she has prevailed 27 out of 28 times. These are pretty amazing credentials. But her speech was so interesting and funny. She gave a behind the scenes look at the Court, and explained the process of how an argument is decided upon and then how the oral arguments go. Her speech: Ten Things I've Learned about the Court was so easy to understand, and really funny. In particular she talked about how when you argue a case you have 30 minutes, but most of the time is taken by the judges (except Clarence Thomas who rarely speaks) asking crazy hypothetical questions. The amount of preparation it takes to get ready to argue a case, and then the different directions that the argument might take was truly amazing. I need to put on my bucket list to go into DC and sit in the gallery and watch the justices argue cases. She is so excited about the latest appointment to the court. The other benefit of these lectures is that they are great companions to the Clinton/Starr book I'm reading. I'm understanding the book more by hearing the lectures, and understanding the lectures more by reading the book.

The afternoon lecture dealt with The Supreme Court and Gender Issues, most specifically Gay Marriage. Really informative.

I went to the gym to work out after the afternoon lecture. It's a good thing because cookies and ice cream are hiding behind every door these days. But I love working out once I get there. And today's session was a landmark event as for the first time I arrived at the gym with everything I needed for my workout and shower, and then arrived home with everything I had taken. I think that's a first.

Tonight our choir practice was cancelled so I went to the movies again. Saw Cairo Time with Patricia Clarkson (I LOVE her!!). It was a terrific movie, filmed in Cairo. Very understated, as many of her performances are, but very touching.

Tomorrow night is the classic movie and then An Evening With Sandra Day O'Connor! How cool is that?