Saturday, August 7, 2010

Settling In

I'm sitting on the floor of the porch outside my room because that is the only place I can get internet. It's so dark I can't really see the keyboard. I think I'll blog in the daytime from now on!

I feel like I'm settling in now. I moved from my 3rd floor temporary room to my 2nd floor home for the next 3 weeks. This room is huge in comparison. A double bed AND a twin bed. Farther from the bathroom though.

Saturdays are characterized by a flurry of activity in the morning as weekly people meet the deadline for leaving. Then the quiet of mid-day. And then at 3:00 the new people arrive. It's fun to be here on a Saturday and not be checking in or out.

I got up and drove first thing to Mayville to the grocery (as opposed to going 25 minutes to Jamestown to Wegmans). Just needed a few things. Bought my paper and planned my day while I had breakfast.

At 10 I ran my errands. Stopped by next year's condo to get the payment envelopes. My landlady for next year, Anne, was putting up a curtain valance in what will be my apartment and asked my advice since it will be my home next year. I'm really looking forward to living in this space! And I don't give a rat's patootie what color valance is on the window!

Went to retrieve my gym pass from my friend Deloras who I loaned it to while I was gone. Stopped by the DOC house where I stayed during weeks 1 and 2 to see Betty and David, the hosts, and two of my favorite people on the planet. After all that reconnection I feel completely grounded here again.

Went to one hour's worth of the finals of the annual piano competition. Heard two gifted young piano players who were required to play 30 minutes of the music of either/or Schumann and Chopin. This year is the bicentennial for both composers. What exquisite playing. If my dad were sitting next to me when each player was finished, he and I would have turned to each other and said in unison, "He sure can render!" This is a line from the old Andy Griffith television show during the episodes where Briscoe Darling and his family played jug band in the jail. They were priceless . . . and Briscoe used to say of Andy's playing, "Sheriff, you sure can render." My dad and I loved that line and used it in many situations.

At 3:00 I went to the Contemporary Issues lecture and heard a wonderful talk about stem cell research. After dinner I had choir and then the orchestra pops concert featuring the resident opera company doing the music of Lerner and Loewe. Fabulous.

Happy to be in my little home for the next three weeks. NOw if I only had a hairdryer. . . . .