Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tryng to do it all!

The blissful downside to being here for the 4th year is that now that I know so many people, social events are finding their way into the schedule. This is only a downside because it means more choices, more things that can't be fit in. What a blessing!

The only time I could find today to schedule my very necessary 20 minute nap, was after choir was finished in church. . . .during the sermon. Now we leave the choir loft after singing, and if we want to hear the sermon, we disrobe (actually, I guess we de-robe. . trust me, we're dressed!) and join the audience. Today I came back to my room and laid down. It's hard to nap at 9:30 in the morning, but I think I got 10 minutes in, and that helps.

Morning lecture was a woman who has worked on the landscaping designs in Central Park. Her theme was the sacred space that can be created and has been created over the centuries using landscaping. Very interesting.

A quick lunch and then to the Massey Organ recital in the AMP. This is the huge organ as opposed to the tracker I saw yesterday. He played a Fantasy by Franz Liszt which was spectacular.

I had an hour to go to the post office where I did get a bill to pay. The forwarding is now working. To the flea market where I got two summer weight night gowns for a dollar apiece! I was looking for a robe, which I left home, that would make getting to and from showers more inconspicuous. But my showering at the gym is working out fine. It looks like a college dorm around here with people waiting in line for the showers!

Afternoon lecture was really interesting. . . a history of the City of Jerusalem and how it is sacred to Jews, Muslims, and Christians. I actually turned down an invitation to see the dress rehearsal of a new Gail Sheehy play, featuring my friend Susan Laubauch as Gail Sheehy. However yesterday I had made plans to meet Betty and Phyllis for the movies. . . Letters to Juliet, a shameless chick flick which we loved.

Have two invitations tomorrow to join people in their homes after events. Will report on that tomorrow. I think it's highly likely that I will have my first glass of wine of the season tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that.

Must go, because the evening program is An Evening With Ken Burns as he talks about and shows media about battlefields as sacred spaces. Our own sacred space, the AMP, will be packed to overflowing!