Friday, August 6, 2010

Later that night

Well, I've learned a valuable lesson today. Do not mention famous people by name, and if you are going to do it, do not malign them in any way because people who are googling their names will find your blog and post rude remarks.

So, to recap, I did end up skipping the concert by the two artists who shall remain nameless. However, there was a huge crowd, and everyone seemed to have enjoyed the presentation.

I went to see The Last Station, a movie about the final years in the life of Tolstoy. Great cast and beautifully filmed.

I would advise anyone against trying to pack for a three week absence at the same time you are trying to get a house ready to show. I have discovered that I'm up here without a hair dryer and my special pillow. I can live without the hair dryer, and I guess I'll have to live without the memory foam neck supporting pillow as well because there is no store for miles with that item. The book store definitely does not have it.

But I went to the flea market today and bought a coffee maker carafe so that I can make my own iced coffee every day, thereby saving the cost of a Starbucks every afternoon so that I can stay awake. Also found a folding lawn chair for three dollars and took it to the 2:00 lecture. So much more comfortable than the historic, straight backed wooden benches in the open air Hall of Philosophy.

This was the end of the week concerning the state of public education and both presentations I saw were excellent. There is not much good news in this field right now, and the remark was made that it was a depressing week, especially for a large state with lots of cowboys on the gulf of Mexico which shall remain nameless in case any of its residents find this blog and decide to comment. But apparently this particular state has more educational issues than the others. I'm just delivering the message. . . . .

Also saw a concert of opera scenes at, where else, the opera house. I missed the big operatic productions this year which were held the weeks I was gone. But these were great.

Two pieces of good news. . .the weather is very cool. Sweatshirts appropriate for after dark. I love it when it is like this. Also, tomorrow morning I switch from my two night temporary room on the third floor, to my home for the next three weeks which will be on the second floor. These rooms are about twice as big as the one I ended up in last time. Kind of like a double nun's cell! (I hope the nuns don't google themselves and then post rude remarks on my blog.)

So to bed. Maybe Wegman's tomorrow. I need grapefruit juice!