Saturday, August 21, 2010

It's already Saturday!

I know. I haven't written. Partially because of internet frustrations, partially because I haven't written.

It's Saturday again. . . as it's referred to here: Chautauqua Sunday. The Week 8'ers have left the building (and the grounds) and a calm descends before Week 9'ers arrive mid-afternoon. Week 9 is notoriously less populated as people return to their real jobs. Imagine my pleasure to hear so many visitors bemoaning that "school starts next week" and knowing that it does not affect me in the least. Next year the theme for Week 9 will be The Civil War, so I'm guessing there will be an outpouring for that topic, especially if Ken Burns returns. Tonight marks the final performance of the Chautauqua Symphony, and along with the theater and opera seasons being over, and the music students having left, it is certainly more quiet all around. The end of the week's performance will be An Evening with Bob Newhart. I'm looking forward to that.

This should be a good week topic-wise. US Supreme Court. Sandra Day O'Connor, who is in residence most summers, will be a featured speaker. The book selection of the week, which I have just started is The Death of American Virtue: Clinton vs. Starr. It's a huge book of over 700 pages, but it is interesting and goes back into the whole Clinton vs. Starr thing in minute detail. I pay so little attention to what goes on in the world, that sometimes its nice to go back and scrutinize an event with a few years perspective behind me.

I did my last grocery shopping this morning as it looked like I was going to run out of grapefruit juice before next weekend. I can endure most things, but running out of grapefruit juice is not an option.

I find my mind occupied with thoughts of home: still not sure what my role in the Choral Arts will be this year. Through a series of events and emails, I find that I'm not sure what my status is with the choir. And I'm letting it play out the way it does, even though to not be in the group ever again would be an adjustment for me. We shall see. Also, my house went "on the market" today, and I am anticipating having to take a huge loss on this house. This is an attitude adjustment as well. I will not enjoy coming home to a perfectly clean house and having to maintain it that way full time until I find a buyer. It is such a glorious home on such a special lot that I can't imagine someone not falling in love with it. But I guess all homeowners feel that way. At any rate, I seem to be proceeding, full steam ahead, to my mission to be mortgage-free and to live as simply as possible. I do like it when my life is in a dynamic place. . . .

So. . one more week here and then back to the un-fray which is retired life. It's an embarrassment of riches.