Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Salman Rushdie afterglow

Okay, the guy is really cool. Who knew? His talk was interesting and funny and made me understand the book and his writing style in new ways. I may even try to read Midnight's Children, a book that won all kinds of awards. I love it when you come up here and are all fired up about something that turns out to not be as good as you thought. And then you go to something you're a little iffy about, in fact you sit close to an aisle for the quick get away if it doesn't hold your interest, and it turns out to be wonderful. I even stayed for the questions and answers for Mr. Rushdie. Very very cool.

I'm going to miss both of my events for the next book which I just started. Our director, Jared, is presenting a organ recital at noon at the same time as the book review. He needs some choir members to sing a number on that. Only two other altos showed for the rehearsal, so I feel like I need to do that. Then there is a memorial service tomorrow at the time of the other presentation about this book. Former Motet choir member and we will sing for that. I'm not too far into the book anyway, but I really really like it. May suggest it for book club at home. . . A Fierce Radiance.

I may get the opportunity to view the film "Fuel" this afternoon. It's supposed to be very powerful. . .concerning the energy/oil issues.

I walked to the post office after singing this morning and noticed all the other things that are going on during the church service in the AMP. Tom Becker, the president of Chautauqua was holding forth on the porch of one of the buildings with a small crowd of people hanging on his every word. The local NPR radio station has a booth where this morning's lecturer was being interviewed and I had a chance to listen to that very close up. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, the joint is jumping all over the grounds at all times.

Hump Day for week 8. I need a brain rest and will forego the Buddhist Monk for the afternoon lecture (although I'd really like to hear him) and go to the gym for an overdo workout. Getting out there, working out, showering, and getting back is about a 2 hour process, and it is perfect for decompression! Signing off.. .