Friday, August 27, 2010

Transition Eve!

Tomorrow a whole bunch of people are going to depart this place. Just like every Saturday morning. But there will be no new people coming in come afternoon. At that point, the skeleton crew will be all that is left. However, tomorrow night's program in the AMP is An Evening With Bob Newhart! So there will be plenty of year rounders and locals coming in. I anticipate a big crowd. My dad owned lots of Bob Newhart albums, and this was before his television shows. So I love his comedy and really look forward to seeing him in person.

Last week day service this morning. . .ergo last performance of the motet choir. The last morning lecture was really good. The man who covers the court for the New York Times spoke about what it means to cover the court, and also he spoke about the court of John Roberts during the Obama years. John Roberts, he said, once referenced Bob Dylan in a decision. However, Judge Rehnquist once referenced Gilbert and Sullivan! Behind the scenes stuff is so fascinating and funny. After the lecture I got on the Supreme Court website and began my quest to see the court in session this fall, hopefully.

I drove to Jamestown today. My quest was to see if I could find a bicycle that I could buy and then leave here over the winter. I intended to buy a used bike, and I actually found an old Schwinn with the chrome bumpers like the ones we used to ride. It needed a little cosmetic work to remove the rust. But when I climbed on it and rode around the parking lot, a lot of memories came rushing back. However, I decided to take a look at a new bike for comparison, and once I got on the new one, I realized that the feel of the old one would get . . .well, old pretty quickly. So I bit the bullet and bought a new, 7-speed bike. I was sure there would be no problem putting it in the condo, since my landlady said I could leave stuff over the winter. However, once I got it in there, she was not exactly 100% on board with my leaving it because the cleaning lady would have to work around it. But she relented and was not too put out about it. But tomorrow I may try to find one of my friends who lives up here year round and see if they can keep it in the garage or something. I guess I could have bought it at the beginning of the season, but I took it for a spin after getting it back to the grounds, and boy was it fun. Please don't tell my sons that I did not buy a helmet.

Did not attend choir tonight (we only have to go to two out of three prior to Sunday), but went to the Friday night cookout at the DOC house where I stayed the first two weeks. I wanted to spend time with Phyllis and Bill before they left in the morning. They are wonderful to be around, and I got some pictures of them and of Betty and David, the hosts of DOC. These are such good people!

Neil Sedaka tonight. I've seen him here before. I was able to see the whole show from the balcony of my building. He actually puts on a great show, and perfect for this crowd.

At about 10 this morning I finished the Clinton/Starr book. . . all 690 pages. So I finished all 5 books I bought for this season. I've given most of them away already. I started reading Little Bee which my book club will discuss Monday. I don't think I'll be discussing it with them, because even though I will probably be driving through the neighborhood at the appropriate time on the way home, I will need to pick up Chester at camp! I'm going to savor these last two days. Our weather continues to be jacket cool. I checked the website for weather at home, and it's supposed to be in the 90's with no rain all week. YUCK!!!!!!