Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sandy, Bette, Monica and Me

It has been an amazing day. Here's an interesting fact: At Chautauqua, once you turn 90 years old, you get your season gate pass for free. This year, 128 of those were given out!!!! The benefits of being physically and mentally active throughout life!

Okay. . . .Well, I'm still basking in the glow of An Evening with Sandra Day O'Connor. What a great, funny, brutally honest, delightful woman. I remember back when she was on the court, and she had attended a party attended by then Redskin star, John Riggins. Now John could really really play football, but personality-wise could be a little bit of a Neanderthal. And the story the next morning in the Washington Post was that, after a bit to drink, John Riggins had been in the company of Justice O'Connor and was overheard saying, "Loosen up, Sandy baby." My but that was big news back then. But having heard her tonight, I'm guessing Sandy was not in the least offended, and perhaps did loosen a bit, if in fact she needed to. At then end of her talk she made a point of saying that the whole 25 years she served on the Supreme Court, that not one single time did any justice trade favors for votes. She maintains that this organization of judges is beyond reproach in their determination to do the work needed to get the job done correctly. That is nice to hear!

Prior to the presentation, I went to the 6:00 Classic Movie. This time is was Bette Davis in Now,Voyager, made in 1942. I've seen many classic movies over the years up here, but this one was one of my very favorites.

And I spent as much time as possible getting through my Clinton/Starr book, which is now heavily on the Monica Lewinsky situation. I have really enjoyed reading this account and look forward to hearing the author make a presentation tomorrow.

All of those things plus the 2 lectures regarding the Supreme Court, and I'd say that today was indeed Rich and Full. It's nice to have the season ending on such a dynamic theme. Hard to believe that a week from today I'll be at home, trying to keep it clean!